What you need to know...
- You will need to know how noted global and/or domestic events shaped the political, economic, and social issues and concerns of people living in the United States.
- You will need to know the domestic issues that have both united and divided social, cultural, ethnic, religious, economic, and political groups in the United States.
- You will need to know the political, economic, and social implications of the United States’ role as a global leader.
- You will need to know both domestic and international consequences of global leadership.
- You will need to know the various social and political perspectives relating to domestic and international issues.
- Items should primarily focus on the latter part of the twentieth century to the present.
Terms to know include, but are not limited to:
9-11, al-Qaeda, Camp David Accords, election of 2000, immigration, Iran hostage crisis, jihad, migration, North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO), social movements, terrorism.
In the United States, most new jobs created during the 1980’s were jobs that
Data from the graphs support the conclusion that between 1960 and 1990
Which issue is the central focus of this cartoon drawn after September 11, 2001?
Base your answer to the question below on the cartoon below and on your knowledge of social studies.
Which statement best describes the main idea of the cartoon?
A. Iraq is using terrorism to end American military occupation.
B. Iraq is rejecting help from the United States against terrorists.
C. The United States and terrorists are competing to influence Iraq.
D. Iraq is catching up to the United States in the war on terror.
The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the European Union (EU) both seek to expand trade within their organizations by
a. prohibiting imports from nonmember nations
b. creating a common currency and parliament
c. lowering tariffs and eliminating import quotas between member nations
d. forming military alliances
The map below provides information about population in the United States.
Based on the information on the map, which issue has become important in local political campaigns?
A. establishing free trade in southeastern states
B. retracing voting districts in northeastern states
C. teaching language courses in northwestern states
D. debating immigration policies in southwestern states
The Camp David accords negotiated during President Jimmy Carter’s administration were an attempt to
Use the following table and your knowledge of U.S. History to answer the following question.
Which generalization about United States presidential elections is most clearly supported by the data in this chart?
a.A candidate can win the election without a majority of the popular vote
b. Third-party candidates have no effect on presidential elections
c. Electoral college votes determine the will of the majority of voters
d. Voter participation in national elections is declining
Which of the following belongs in the empty box below?
a. America boycotts OPEC and begins drilling for oil in Gulf of Mexico
b. Iranian students storm U.S. embassy in Tehran, taking 52 American hostages
c. President Carter deports the Shah back to Iranian officials
d. OPEC cuts off U.S. oil supplies, leading to high gas prices