What You Need To Know...
Solve quadratic equations over the real numbers by factoring and by using the quadratic formula.
- The benchmark will be assessed with MC (Multiple Choice) and FR (Fill in Response) items.
- Items may assess special forms like the difference of squares and perfect square trinomials.
- Items may assess the use of the zero product property of real numbers.
- Fill-in response items may ask the student to provide the greater (or lesser) of two solutions explicitly or implicitly.
- MC options may be given using set notation.
Jeannie solved the quadratic equation shown below by factoring.
x2 + 2x – 8 = 0
Which of the following shows a step in solving the equation shown?
A. (x + 2)(x + 4) = 0
B. (x + 2)(x – 4) = 0
C. (x – 2)(x + 4) = 0
D. (x – 2)(x – 4) = 0
A ball is kicked from ground level into the air. Its height, y, in feet, after x seconds can be represented by the equation y = 40x - 16x2. What is the total elapsed time, in seconds, from the time the ball is kicked until it reaches ground level again?