What you need to know...
- You will need to know how demobilization and government policies contributed to post–World War II prosperity.
- You will need to know the social, political, and economic factors that contributed to post–World War II prosperity.
- You will need to know the limitations of post–World War II prosperity by examining the social, political, ethnic, racial, and cultural groups that were unaffected during that period of prosperity.
- You will need to know the long-term influence of post–World War II prosperity on society in the United States by considering both the positive and negative social, cultural, political, geographic, and economic effects on society.
Terms to know include, but are not limited to:
baby boomers, birth rate, Equal Rights Amendment, GI Bill of Rights, Interstate Highway System, suburbs, women in the workforce.
What was a major result of the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 (GI Bill)?
a. Millions of veterans received a college education.
b. Women kept their factory jobs after World War II.
c. Jobs were created by the Manhattan Project.
d. Veterans were exempted from gasoline rationing.
Which development resulted from the construction of the interstate highway system?
a. increased suburbanization
b. reduced air pollution
c. decreased fuel consumption
d. growth of long-distance passenger train service
How did the post–World War II baby boom affect American society between 1945 and 1960?
The information below describes some key provisions of the 1944 GI Bill of Rights.
• Provided funds for education and training for veterans
• Provided home, farm, and business loans for veterans
• Provided unemployment compensation for veterans
Which sentence describes how post–World War II society was affected by the GI Bill of Rights?
A. Political participation became possible for a broader portion of society.
B. Economic success became available for a broader portion of society.
C. Farmers neglected to utilize agricultural technologies.
D. Businesses failed to develop innovative products.
Which development following World War II caused the urban-suburban pattern shown in the diagram?
What does this photograph indicate about the United States in the 1950s?
A. Extraordinary steps were taken to hide atomic weapons.
B. The nation had become the only nuclear superpower.
C. Much fear was created by the Cold War.
D. Only government officials would be safe in a nuclear attack.
Use the following graph and your knowledge of U.S. History to answer the question below.
Which year represents the height of the baby boomer generation?
Use the political cartoon below and your knowledge of U.S. History to answer this question:
The main idea expressed in the cartoon involves the
A. relationship between consumer needs and military needs
B. problems created by the development of nuclear weapons
C. need for all people to be informed about world affairs
D. problems associated with the shift from a wartime economy to a peacetime economy
Use the following image and your knowledge of U.S. History to answer the question:
This photograph shows the post–World War II growth that was typical of
A. tourist resorts
B. suburban communities
C. inner cities
D. public housing projects