Drive a Yellow Bus to School!
The Escambia County School District is seeking professionally-minded individuals to transport students to and from school. Applicants must be determined to make a positive difference in the lives of students and they must be committed to safety and excellence. We will train qualified applicants. Apply now!
As a condition of initial employment, you must pass a physical examination prior to beginning work as a bus operator. All physical examinations need to be reported on a form prescribed by the State Department of Education and must be conducted by a physician designated by the District.
Setting an Important Example for Kids
While on duty, be clean and neat in appearance at all times and do not use profane language. The District is a tobacco-free workplace.
Prerequisites for Employment
1. Hold a valid Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B (or higher) with Passenger (P) endorsement and a School Bus (S) endorsement or a comparable driver’s license from your state of residence. Your driving record must be satisfactory.
2. Hold a current Florida Department of Education Medical Examiner’s certificate.
3. Successfully complete the forty-hour school bus operator’s training course.
4. Successfully complete a defensive driving course.
5. Successfully complete a standard first aid and CPR course.
6. Obtain an approved fingerprint/background check through the Escambia County School District.
7. Successfully complete the twelve-hour driver training with a current Escambia County School District permanent bus operator.
8. Successfully complete a pre-employment drug test.
Your Training Progression
You must have your CDL, physical, and background investigation cleared before you begin training.
Once those three items are out of the way, you'll be ready to start your classroom work.
Once you complete your training and your certification is signed, you will be ready to start work! Good luck, and let us know if we can assist you in your endeavors.
District Hiring Guidelines
In general, any of the following would disqualify a candidate for a position with the District:
1. Conviction for a crime of moral turpitude.
2. Two (2) or more misdemeanor charges within the past five (5) years, with findings of guilty or plea of nolo contendere (no contest), regardless of adjudication(s) withheld.
3. A criminal history screening which demonstrates irresponsibility in private or social environments.
4. Any other felony crime not listed in Sections 435.04, F.S.. or 1012.315, F.S., with a finding of guilt or plea of nolo contendere (no contest), regardless of adjudication of guilt.
5. Enrollment in or failure to successfully complete a pre-trial diversion or intervention program for a disqualifying offense.
6. Any unlawful possession, sale, manufacture or association of controlled substances and drug related activities unless charges were dropped or dismissed or a verdict of nolle prosequi or a not guilty was delivered.
7. School bus operators cannot have a DUI or DWI conviction, regardless of adjudication(s) withheld.
8. Any incidence of violence misdemeanor or felony, with final disposition of guilt or plea of nolo contendere (no contest), regardless of adjudication(s) withheld.
9. Any omission, misrepresentation or falsification of information listed on any employment application or documents related to employment and benefits.
10. Noncompliance with the District hiring requirements.
Consult District Hiring Guidelines at:
Contact the District Transportation Training and Safety Office at (850) 469-5328 or apply in person at the Transportation Office (100 E. Texar Dr., Pensacola, FL 32501).